Church

church and convent San Vincenzo d'Annalena

church and convent San Vincenzo d'Annalena
church and convent San Vincenzo d'Annalena

church and convent San Vincenzo d'Annalena is a church in Florence, Italy.

About church and convent San Vincenzo d'Annalena

former convent in Florence

Loading map…

Overview

The church and convent of San Vincenzo d'Annalena was a Dominican religious complex in Florence, Italy, located in the Oltrarno quarter on via Santa Maria. Founded in 1454 by Annalena Malatesta, a widow who became a Dominican tertiary, the convent existed until its suppression in 1808. Though the physical buildings have disappeared, the site holds significance in Florentine religious and artistic history as the original location of important Renaissance paintings by Beato Angelico and Filippo Lippi, and as an early example of female religious patronage in Renaissance Florence.

Founding & history

The convent was founded in 1454 by Anna Elena Malatesta of Rimini (1246-1490), known as Annalena, widow of Baldaccio d'Anghiari, a condottiero who was murdered in 1441 after his victory at Anghiari in 1440. Following her husband's death, Annalena placed herself under the protection of Archbishop Antonino Pierozzi and withdrew to a house that had been given to her as a girl by Cosimo de' Medici. In 1454 she became a Dominican tertiary and transformed her residence into the first nucleus of the convent. The adjacent oratory was converted into a church in 1474, dedicated to Saint Stephen and Saint Vincent Ferrer; the church's construction was completed in 1475. The building was destroyed by fire in 1511 but immediately rebuilt. In 1586, in compliance with a bull issued by Pius V in 1571, the nuns were placed under enclosure. The convent was suppressed in 1786 during reforms promoted by Pietro Leopoldo and transformed into a conservatory for widows, then finally suppressed in 1808. The property was subsequently acquired by the private developer Luigi Gargani, who in 1817 converted part of it into the Teatro Goldoni. The church was desecrated in 1842.

Collection scope

The convent's artistic holdings were significant enough to attract attention after the suppression, with two major works transferred to major Florentine museums. The collection appears to have been shaped by Medici connections: Annalena's original endowment came from Cosimo de' Medici, and the presence of saints Cosmas and Damian, Medici family protectors, in the Beato Angelico altarpiece suggests ongoing patronage relationships. No comprehensive inventory of the convent's holdings survives, but the quality of the documented works indicates that the community possessed paintings of the highest Renaissance caliber.

Notable holdings

The convent held two paintings of exceptional importance. The Pala di Annalena by Beato Angelico, a tempera on panel measuring 180 by 202 cm and dated to approximately 1430, was located in the convent before being moved to the Museo Nazionale di San Marco after the nineteenth-century suppression. The painting, one of the earliest rectangular-format Sacre Conversazioni of the early Renaissance, features the Madonna and Child enthroned with six saints. Art historians debate whether it was originally commissioned for the Medici-associated Sagrestia Vecchia of San Lorenzo or created shortly before Angelico's departure for Rome around 1445; in either case, it predates the convent's foundation and was transferred there subsequently. The panel retains its predella with stories of Saints Cosmas and Damian, though one panel is lost and another is in the Kunsthaus Zurich. The convent also housed Filippo Lippi's Adoration of the Child, now in the Uffizi Gallery.

Building & site

The original convent buildings were located on via Santa Maria in Florence's Oltrarno district, on land previously belonging to the Bini family. After the 1808 suppression, the site underwent radical transformation. Between 1810 and 1820, the former convent grounds were developed into several distinct structures: the Teatro Goldoni and the Saloncino Castinelli (later Cinema Goldoni) were built between via dei Serragli and via Santa Maria; the Giardino Corsi Annalena, Florence's first romantic garden, was created between via Romana, via de' Mori, and via de' Serragli by Marchese Tommaso Corsi after his 1791 purchase of the adjacent orchard; and the Casa di Annalena was erected along via Romana. The church itself was demolished in the early nineteenth century to make way for stables for the Palazzo Mac Donel. The Casa di Annalena, designed by architect Giuseppe Del Rosso around 1810 in Neoclassical style, was later converted into the Pensione Annalena hotel in 1919 and became associated with notable cultural figures including Eugenio Montale, Carlo Levi, and Luigi Dallapiccola.

Visiting

The church and convent of San Vincenzo d'Annalena no longer exists as a functioning religious institution or intact building. The original site in via Santa Maria has been entirely redeveloped, and no traces of the medieval and Renaissance convent structures remain. Visitors interested in the convent's artistic legacy must seek its former holdings in Florence's major museums: the Pala di Annalena by Beato Angelico is displayed in the Museo Nazionale di San Marco, while Filippo Lippi's Adoration of the Child is in the Uffizi Gallery. The Casa di Annalena at via Romana 34, though a nineteenth-century reconstruction rather than the original convent building, marks the general area of the former religious complex and retains the historical name. The Giardino Corsi Annalena, created from former convent lands, also preserves the patron's memory in the urban fabric of Florence's Oltrarno quarter.

Museums near church and convent San Vincenzo d'Annalena

Artworks shown from church and convent San Vincenzo d'Annalena are in the public domain; images via the open-access programs of their source collections. Spotted an error in this record? Tell us.