Art Museum
Diocesan Museum of Padua

Image: Wikimedia Commons.
Diocesan Museum of Padua is an art museum in Padua, Italy.
About Diocesan Museum of Padua
The Diocesan museum of Padua displays arts and artifacts belonging to the Roman Catholic Diocese of Padua; it is housed in the 15th-century former bishop's residence or Palazzo Vescovile. The building, adjacent to the Cathedral of Padua, faces the Piazza del Duomo, can in the historic center of Padua, region of Veneto, Italy.
Many of the works in the museum derive from the cathedral or from other diocesan churches, some suppressed and no longer extant. The collections date from the 9th to the 19th centuries. They are displayed on two separate floors and are ordered chronologically and by type.
Diocesan Museum of Padua by the numbers
- Founded
- 2000
- Visitors / year
- 30,000
- Collection
- 60 objects
Plan your visit
Diocesan Museum of Padua
- Website
- www.museodiocesanopadova.it
Overview
The Diocesan Museum of Padua (Museo Diocesano di Padova) is an ecclesiastical museum in the historic center of Padua, Veneto, Italy, dedicated to preserving and displaying arts and artifacts belonging to the Roman Catholic Diocese of Padua. Inaugurated in 2000, it occupies the 15th-century Palazzo Vescovile, the former bishop's residence adjacent to the Cathedral of Padua on Piazza del Duomo. The collections span from the 9th to the 19th centuries, drawn primarily from the cathedral treasury and diocesan churches, many of them now suppressed. The museum's significance lies in its concentration of medieval and Renaissance sacred art, its integration with a major Renaissance palace complex, and its role within the UNESCO-recognized Padova Urbs Picta site.
Founding & history
The Palazzo Vescovile has served as the episcopal seat since at least the early 14th century. In 1309, Bishop Pagano della Torre constructed a new complex north of the earlier one, adding a grand public hall, the Salone. The medieval structures were transformed in the 15th century into a Renaissance residence, with Bishop Pietro Barozzi (1487-1507), a humanist scholar, commissioning its extraordinary decoration. The palace acquired its current cubic form during this period. A precursor institution, the Museo Diocesano d'Arte Sacra San Gregorio Barbarigo, was established in 1973, named after the bishop who served from 1664 to 1697; it was accessible only by appointment and utilized scholarly spaces on the first floor. The present Diocesan Museum opened in 2000, coinciding with the Jubilee Year and supported by state funding, repurposing rooms of the Palazzo Vescovile into public exhibition spaces. A major restoration from 2005 to 2006 addressed deterioration in the Salone dei Vescovi from the 19th and 20th centuries, uncovering original grotesques and restoring decorative integrity.
Collection scope
The collections are arranged on two floors according to chronological and typological criteria. They encompass paintings, sculptures, liturgical objects, manuscripts, incunabula, and decorative arts from the 9th through the 19th centuries. The holdings derive principally from the Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta and from churches throughout the diocese, including many that have been demolished or suppressed. Particular strengths include 14th- and 15th-century Venetian and Paduan painting, Renaissance fresco cycles, liturgical metalwork and textiles, and documentary materials from the diocesan scriptorium. The museum also preserves a significant quantity of ex votos and objects of popular devotion.
Notable holdings
The Belvedere rooms contain the museum's most celebrated paintings: a cycle of seven panels depicting the Story of Saint Sebastian (1367) by Niccolò Semitecolo; a Madonna and Child by Paolo Veneziano from the 14th century; another Madonna and Child by Giusto de' Menabuoi from the late 14th century; and mid-15th-century panels by Giorgio Schiavone that originally formed a polyptych of Franciscan saints for San Francesco Grande. Also notable are a detached fresco portrait of a child from the Baptistery exterior, and the Reliquary of the Cross (1435-1453), a Danish work in gilded silver. The 17th- and 18th-century holdings include sculptures by the Bonazza family, Giambattista Tiepolo's Saint Francis of Paola, paintings by Giandomenico Tiepolo, and metalwork by Angelo Scarabello. The cathedral treasury preserves a 9th-century silver inkwell later converted to a chrismarium; an 11th-century soapstone plaquette of Christ blessing; a processional cross dated 1228; and a 13th-century evangeliary cover from Santa Giustina at Monselice. The liturgical vestments section includes two late-15th-century dalmatics with maniple and stole, and an embroidered set with papal arms donated by Clement XIII (Carlo Rezzonico), bishop of Padua from 1743 to 1758. The Hall of San Gregorio Barbarigo on the first floor holds 14th-century illuminated manuscripts, 15th-century incunabula, and pre-16th-century printed books from the libraries of bishops Iacopo Zeno and Pietro Barozzi.
Building & site
The Palazzo Vescovile faces Piazza del Duomo in the historic heart of Padua, directly adjoining the cathedral. The building's core dates to 1309, though its present form is largely the result of 15th-century Renaissance transformation. The Salone dei Vescovi, the palace's grand hall on the piano nobile, was frescoed beginning in the early 16th century by Bartolomeo Montagna (with later interventions) with portraits of Padua's first one hundred bishops from Saint Prosdocimus to Pietro Barozzi, set within a painted faux loggia. The present ceiling centers on the family crest of Pope Clement XIII. The Chapel of Santa Maria degli Angeli, entered from the northeast side of the salon, was built in 1495 to designs by Lorenzo da Bologna; its frescoes by Prospero da Piazzola and Jacopo da Montagnana follow an iconographic program based on the Apostles' Creed, and its altar holds Jacopo da Montagnana's triptych of the Annunciation with Saints Michael and Raphael. The Tinello dei Dottori, now the Hall of San Gregorio Barbarigo, retains 15th-century decoration including a coffered ceiling and The Resurrection of Christ by Jacopo da Montagnana and his studio. The vaulted cellar with pilasters is used for exhibitions.
Visiting
The museum is located at Piazza del Duomo 12, 35139 Padua, within the UNESCO Padova Urbs Picta site. It operates Monday from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m., and Tuesday through Sunday from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and 2 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. or 6 p.m.; last admissions are at 12:30 p.m. and 5 p.m. respectively, though hours may be modified for liturgical celebrations. Combined tickets with the Cathedral Baptistery are available, including audioguide visits in English, French, German, and Spanish, as well as guided tours in Italian on certain days. Standalone admission to the Bishops' Hall and Diocesan Museum costs 8 euros full price, with reduced rates for students, residents of Padua and the diocese, and other categories; free admission applies to children under 6, disabled visitors with one companion, religious, licensed guides, ICOM card holders, and certain others. The museum is managed in conjunction with the cathedral complex and offers educational programming. The official website is http://www.museodiocesanopadova.it.