Art Museum
Glaspalast

Image: Wikimedia Commons.
Glaspalast is an art museum in Maxvorstadt, Germany.
About Glaspalast
The Glaspalast (Glass Palace) was a glass and iron exhibition building located in the Old botanical garden in Munich modeled after the Crystal Palace in London. The Glaspalast opened for the first General German Industrial Exhibition on 15 July 1854.
Glaspalast by the numbers
- Founded
- 1854
Overview
The Glaspalast, or Glass Palace, was a glass and cast iron exhibition building situated in the Old Botanical Garden in the Maxvorstadt district of Munich, Germany. Inspired by London's Crystal Palace, it was constructed to host the First General German Industrial Exhibition and opened on 15 July 1854. The structure became a critical venue for international art exhibitions and trade, helping establish Munich's reputation as a major center for art and culture. Its history ended catastrophically on 6 June 1931 when an arson fire destroyed the building and thousands of artworks within it.
Founding & history
In 1853, King Maximilian II of Bavaria ordered the construction of the Glaspalast to host the First General German Industrial Exhibition, following the model of other European metropolises. The exhibition opened on 15 July 1854, only three years after the London Crystal Palace, though the event was overshadowed by a cholera outbreak that affected staff and guests. Originally intended to be converted into a greenhouse after the industrial exhibition, the building instead became a premier cultural venue. It hosted the First German General and Historical Art Exhibition in 1858, the First International Art Exhibition in 1869, and subsequent international art shows in 1879, 1883, and 1888. By 1889, the Glaspalast was used almost exclusively for art exhibitions and artist festivals, serving as a central forum for the international art trade. In 1882, it hosted the first electrically lit International Electrotechnical Exhibition, where engineer Oskar von Miller demonstrated the feasibility of long distance electricity transmission by powering a pump from a 2000 volt direct current line from Miesbach, 50 kilometers away. The building's history concluded in a catastrophic fire on 6 June 1931, later determined to be arson, which completely destroyed the structure. Plans to rebuild on the same site were abandoned in 1933 after the Nazis seized power, who opted instead to construct the Haus der Deutschen Kunst, which opened in 1937.
Collection scope
While initially built for industrial displays, the Glaspalast evolved into the foremost venue for international art exhibitions in Munich. From 1889 onward, its program was dedicated almost exclusively to the display and trade of fine art. The exhibitions encompassed a broad historical and international scope, ranging from early 19th century German Romanticism to contemporary works of the early 20th century. The venue functioned simultaneously as a cultural forum and a commercial hub for the international art market, cementing Munich's status as a city of art and culture.
Notable holdings
The most significant artworks associated with the Glaspalast were those destroyed in the 1931 fire, which constituted one of the worst art disasters in European history. The blaze irretrievably consumed more than 3,000 artworks, including a special exhibition of 110 paintings by early 19th century German Romantics such as Caspar David Friedrich, Moritz von Schwind, Karl Blechen, and Philipp Otto Runge. Of the 2,820 paintings, graphic works, and sculptures on display, approximately 1,000 works by contemporary artists were heavily damaged, and only 80 artworks were rescued unharmed. The financial damage was estimated at 25 to 30 million Marks. A tragic irony noted by the press was that works rejected by the exhibition jury were stored in an adjacent shed and survived the fire entirely.
Building & site
The Glaspalast was originally planned for Maximiliansplatz, but the commission chose a site near the railway station in the north of the Old Botanical Garden, close to Stachus. Designed by architect August von Voit and built by MAN AG, the building drew on recent local experience with glass and cast iron constructions, such as the Schrannenhalle and the Munich Residence conservatory. Due to time constraints, Voit significantly simplified initial complex designs, relying on standardized components and omitting load bearing masonry entirely. The two storey, elongated rectangular structure featured a five nave main hall with a central transept and rectangular extensions at the ends. It measured 234 meters long, 67 meters wide, and 25 meters high. Cramer Klett of Nuremberg supplied the 1,700 tons of prefabricated iron parts, while traditional glassworks at Schmidsfelden produced the glass. Construction took only six months, from 31 December 1853 to 7 June 1854, during which 37,000 glass panes were installed, at a total cost of 800,000 guldens. Following the 1931 destruction, the Old Botanical Garden was redesigned in 1936, and a small exhibition building was erected on the site, later destroyed in World War II. Today, the Parkcafe restaurant and biergarten occupies the Glaspalast site. The Glaspalast fountain, which had been relocated to Orleansplatz in 1901, survived the fire and now stands at Weissenburger Platz in the Haidhausen district.
Visiting
The Glaspalast was located in the Old Botanical Garden in central Munich, near Karlsplatz, also known as Stachus. The building no longer exists, having been destroyed in the 1931 fire. The site is currently occupied by the Parkcafe, a restaurant and biergarten. The sole surviving physical remnant of the original complex is the Glaspalast fountain, which is accessible to the public at Weissenburger Platz in the Haidhausen district.
Museums near Glaspalast
- Library Photographic Archive of the Zentralinstitut für Kunstgeschichte Munich, Germany
- Art Museum Staatliche Graphische Sammlung München Maxvorstadt, Germany
- Art Museum Alte Pinakothek Munich, Germany
- Art Museum Lenbachhaus Munich, Germany
- Art Museum Bavarian State Painting Collections Munich, Germany
- Art Museum Ambras Castle Innsbruck, Austria