Art Museum

Museo Borgogna (Vercelli)

Museo Borgogna (Vercelli)
Museo Borgogna (Vercelli)

Museo Borgogna (Vercelli) is an art museum in Vercelli, Italy.

About Museo Borgogna (Vercelli)

The Francesco Borgogna Museum, located on Via Francesco Borgogna near the town center of Vercelli in the region of Piedmont, displays a collection of paintings, frescoes, sculpture, tapestries, and other artifacts. The works originate from the 14th to the 20th century.

Museo Borgogna (Vercelli) by the numbers

Founded
1907
Visitors / year
4,518
Collection
800 objects

Plan your visit

Museo Borgogna (Vercelli)

Loading map…

Overview

The Museo Francesco Borgogna is a public art museum in Vercelli, Piedmont, northern Italy, housed in Palazzo Borgogna on Via Francesco Borgogna near the town center. Founded in 1907 through the bequest of collector and philanthropist Antonio Borgogna, it opened to the public in 1908 and is regarded as the second most important picture gallery in Piedmont after Turin's Galleria Sabauda. Its collections span Italian and European painting, sculpture, and decorative arts from the 14th to the 20th century, with particular distinction in Renaissance and Baroque Italian painting and Flemish and Dutch schools.

Founding & history

The museum originated from the testamentary bequest of Antonio Giacomo Francesco Borgogna, a lawyer, landowner, and liberal-progressive politician born in Stroppiana in 1822. After retiring from public life in 1870, Borgogna devoted himself to collecting art through purchases at national and international auctions, amassing a significant collection of ancient and contemporary works. In 1882 he acquired Palazzo Ferrero as a house museum, and in 1899 he donated the building and its contents to the city of Vercelli. Following his death in January 1906, the Fondazione Francesco Borgogna was established in 1907 to transform his palace and collection into a museum dedicated to his father, Francesco Borgogna (1797-1877). The museum opened in 1908 with approximately two thousand objects on the ground floor. An expansion designed by engineer Giuseppe Leblis was inaugurated in May 1915, introducing a skylit space according to modern museographic criteria. A second expansion followed in 1932, also by Leblis. That same year, Vittorio Viale, director of Turin's Musei Civici, became director and restructured the collections as a municipal picture gallery, incorporating paintings from Vercelli's Istituto di Belle Arti and detached frescoes from suppressed churches and monasteries. The museum was dismantled during the war for protection, then served as a venue for major exhibitions in the postwar period, including a 1950 exhibition on Sodoma. The second floor reopened in the 1960s for Flemish and 19th-century works, and again in 1985 to display objects from the original house museum. From 2001 onward, progressive restoration and reorganization expanded exhibition space to approximately 3000 square meters across three floors.

Collection scope

The collection is arranged chronologically and by artistic school, following the scheme established by Vittorio Viale in 1934. Its core strengths lie in Piedmontese painting of the 15th and 16th centuries, Italian Renaissance and Baroque painting, and Flemish and Dutch painting. The latter component numbers approximately eighty canvases and constitutes one of the most significant holdings of its kind in the region. The museum also holds sculpture from the late 19th and early 20th centuries, decorative arts, tapestries, photographic plates, and furnishings. Most of the collection was assembled on the art market between 1880 and 1906. Under Viale's direction, the museum was reconfigured specifically as a pinacoteca, with furniture, bronzes, and sculptures transferred to the Museo Leone or placed in storage to emphasize the painting collections.

Notable holdings

The painting collections include works by Gerolamo and Giovanni Battista Giovenone, Bernardino Lanino, Defendente Ferrari, Gaudenzio Ferrari, and the school of Giovanni Martino Spanzotti, representing the Vercelli school and broader Piedmontese tradition. Other Italian masters represented are Titian, Bernardino Luini, Francesco Francia, il Sodoma, Ludovico Carracci, and Carlo Maratta. Nineteenth-century Italian painters include Stefano Ussi, Domenico Induno, Teofilo Patini, Gaetano Chierici, Giacomo Favretto, and Nicola Monti. The Flemish and Dutch schools are represented by numerous paintings acquired as a distinct group. The entrance features a posthumous bronze bust of Antonio Borgogna (1910) by the Vercelli sculptor Francesco Porzio.

Building & site

The museum occupies Palazzo Borgogna, originally Palazzo Ferrero, constructed in 1836 in neoclassical style for Epaminonda Ferrero to designs by engineer Ettore Tartara. Antonio Borgogna purchased the building in 1882 and had it substantially modified to serve as a house museum. The 1915 expansion by Giuseppe Leblis added a large ground-floor space with zenithal lighting to improve the display and legibility of works. The 1932 expansion, also by Leblis, further increased capacity. The building now encompasses approximately 3000 square meters of exhibition space across the ground floor and two upper floors, with restored interiors that include revived elements of the original casa-museo arrangement.

Visiting

The Museo Francesco Borgogna is located on Via Francesco Borgogna in central Vercelli, accessible via the museum's website at www.museoborgogna.it. The Fondazione Francesco Borgogna, established by Antonio Borgogna's bequest in 1907, continues to govern the institution. The museum's present role centers on its function as Vercelli's municipal picture gallery, preserving and displaying a chronologically and geographically wide-ranging collection of Italian and European art across three floors of the historic palace.

Museums near Museo Borgogna (Vercelli)

Artworks shown from Museo Borgogna (Vercelli) are in the public domain; images via the open-access programs of their source collections. Spotted an error in this record? Tell us.