Museum

Museo de Bellas Artes de Sevilla - Hall V

Museo de Bellas Artes de Sevilla - Hall V
Museo de Bellas Artes de Sevilla - Hall V

Plan your visit

Museo de Bellas Artes de Sevilla - Hall V

Artworks shown from Museo de Bellas Artes de Sevilla - Hall V are in the public domain; images via the open-access programs of their source collections. Spotted an error in this record? Tell us.

Overview

Hall V is a gallery within the Museo de Bellas Artes de Sevilla, located at Plaza del Museo, 9, in Seville, Spain. The museum is a premier institution for Spanish visual arts, often ranked as the second most important fine arts museum in Spain after the Prado. Established as a Museum of Paintings by Royal Decree on September 16, 1835, and officially inaugurated in 1841, it provides a comprehensive survey of Spanish art from the medieval period to the early 20th century. The institution is particularly vital for its exceptional collection of Sevillian Baroque painting, featuring signature works by leading Golden Age masters such as Bartolomé Esteban Murillo, Francisco de Zurbarán, and Valdés Leal. Owned by the General State Administration, the museum occupies the historic former Convent of La Merced Calzada.

Founding & history

The museum originated from the 1835 expropriation of ecclesiastical properties under the liberal government of Mendizábal, which suppressed religious orders and seized convent possessions. On September 16, 1835, a Royal Order established the Provincial Museum of Seville to house these displaced works. Selecting a permanent site proved difficult; authorities initially denied the use of the La Merced convent because it was occupied by the Royal Economic Society of Seville. During this period of displacement, some collected artworks were lost, sold abroad, or retained by other institutions, such as a Velázquez painting that remained in the archbishop's palace. By October 1838, the museum was installed in the La Merced building, sharing the space with the Economic Society until 1846. Over the decades, the building hosted multiple institutions, including an archaeological museum, a pharmacy faculty, and a normal school for teachers. In 1941, the Archaeological Museum relocated to the Plaza de America, leaving the fine arts collection as the sole occupant. The museum underwent major restorations between 1868 and 1898, between 1942 and 1945, and again from 1985 to 1993 to fully adapt the historic structure into a modern exhibition space.

Collection scope

The museum's holdings are rooted in the religious art seized from secularized convents and monasteries, making Sevillian Baroque painting the core strength of the institution. The collection spans from the 13th century to the 20th century, encompassing not only religious painting but also portraits, mythological works, and genre scenes. Beyond canvases, the museum preserves a notable array of sculpture, ceramics, engravings, and furniture. While the bulk of the collection features Spanish artists such as Francisco de Herrera the Elder, Diego Velázquez, and El Greco, it also includes works by foreign painters like Jan Brueghel the Elder, Pieter Aertsen, and Cornelis de Vos. Initially reliant on expropriated church art, the museum began incorporating private collections at the start of the 20th century, establishing a permanent collection by 1970. The exhibition is distributed across 14 thematic rooms arranged chronologically.

Notable holdings

The collection showcases masterpieces of local sacred and portrait art. Among the most celebrated works is Bartolomé Esteban Murillo's Madonna and Child of the Napkin, a highlight of the museum's Baroque holdings. Francisco de Zurbarán is represented by Saint Hugh in the Carthusian Refectory, also known as Saint Hugo in the Refectory. Additional standout pieces include a Portrait of Jorge Manuel and Saint Jerome Penitent, further demonstrating the depth of the Golden Age Sevillian school.

Building & site

The museum is housed in the former Convent of La Merced Calzada, a monumental building blending Renaissance and Baroque elements. King Ferdinand III granted the land to the Mercedarian knights following the conquest of Seville in 1248, where they built an earlier Mudéjar structure. The building's current general layout stems from a major renovation initiated by Fray Alonso de Monroy, the general of the order, starting in 1602. The architect and sculptor Juan de Oviedo y de la Bandera presented plans and began construction in 1603, demolishing the previous Mudéjar building. The convent church was finished in 1612, and the remaining construction was completed decades later, establishing one of the most beautiful examples of Andalusian Mannerism. Architect Leonardo de Figueroa remodeled the upper floor of the main cloister in 1724, and the current facade was crafted in 1729 by stonemason Miguel de Quintana. The interior features three Renaissance courtyards, including the claustro grande, claustro de los bojes, and claustro del aljibe, alongside a convent church converted into an exhibition hall and a monumental imperial staircase that served as the central nucleus of the building, influencing architectural compositions in the Americas.

Visiting

The museum is located at Plaza del Museo, 9, in Seville, Spain. The plaza is presided over by a bronze statue of the Sevillian painter Bartolomé Esteban Murillo, sculpted by Sabino de Medina, which has an exact replica near the Prado Museum in Madrid. The museum maintains an educational vocation, offering cultural activities, temporary exhibitions, educational workshops, and inclusive programs for all audiences. It is open Tuesday to Saturday from 9:00 to 21:00, with reduced hours from 9:00 to 15:00 on Sundays, holidays, and during August. The museum is closed on Mondays. For inquiries, visitors can contact the institution at +34 954 786 501.