Art Museum
Palazzo Rosso
Image: Wikimedia Commons.
Palazzo Rosso is an art museum in Genoa, Italy.
About Palazzo Rosso
The Palazzo Brignole Sale or Palazzo Rosso is a house museum located in Via Garibaldi, in the historical center of Genoa, in Northwestern Italy. The palace is part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site Genoa: Le Strade Nuove and the system of the Palazzi dei Rolli. The rich art collection inside, along with the galleries of Palazzo Bianco and Palazzo Doria Tursi, is part of the Musei di Strada Nuova and consists of the works of artists of the caliber of Antoon van Dyck, Guido Reni, Paolo Veronese, Guercino, Gregorio De Ferrari, Albrecht Dürer, Bernardo Strozzi and Mattia Preti.
Palazzo Rosso by the numbers
- Founded
- 1677
- Visitors / year
- 20,000
- Collection
- 60 objects
Plan your visit
Palazzo Rosso
- Website
- www.rolliestradenuove.it
Overview
Palazzo Rosso, formally known as Palazzo Ridolfo e Giovanni Francesco Brignole Sale shield, is a house museum located at Via Garibaldi 18 in the historical center of Genoa, Northwestern Italy. Built between 1671 and 1677, it is one of three palaces that together form the Musei di Strada Nuova, a unified municipal museum complex. Since 13 July 2006, it has been inscribed as part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site "Genoa: Le Strade Nuove and the system of the Palazzi dei Rolli." Its significance rests on both its distinctive 17th-century architecture, adapted to challenging topographical conditions, and its exceptional art collection, which was bequeathed to the city in 1874 and forms the historical core of Genoa's public picture gallery.
Founding & history
Construction began in 1671 when brothers Ridolfo and Giovanni Francesco Brignole Sale commissioned architect Pietro Antonio Corradi to design a double residence on their consolidated properties along the south side of Strada Nuova. The site presented unusual constraints: the area was already fully built up with small streets and public thoroughfares after the avenue's completion in 1591, leaving no open plots. Corradi, the only major architect to have survived the 1656 plague in Genoa, completed the palace in 1677. Ridolfo died without male heirs, and his share passed to his brother. The palace remained in Brignole Sale family hands until 1874, when the last descendant, Duchess Maria Brignole Sale De Ferrari of Galliera, bequeathed both the building and its art collections to the Municipality of Genoa. These became the first nucleus of the city's public art museum. In 1888, she also donated the family's painting collection. The palace suffered severe damage during the aerial bombardment of Genoa in October 1942, including destruction of the second-floor hall containing Gregorio De Ferrari's great fresco. Between 1953 and 1961, architect Franco Albini directed restoration work that removed 19th-century additions, more than doubled the exhibition space, and integrated collections of ceramics, coins, textiles, prints, and maps. After three years of renovation, the palace reopened in June 2022.
Collection scope
The collections at Palazzo Rosso form the first and foundational part of the Musei di Strada Nuova, together with Palazzo Bianco and Palazzo Doria Tursi. The holdings are distinguished by their concentration of Old Master paintings accumulated over generations by the Brignole Sale family, with particular strengths in 16th-century Venetian painting, 17th-century Italian Baroque, and Flemish portraiture. Following reorganizations after 1992, the museum has sought to display the full range of the Brignole-Sale collection, portions of which had been transferred to Palazzo Bianco or kept in storage. The collections also encompass decorative arts: a ceramic collection, a numismatic collection, textiles from various provenances, and topographical and cartographic materials housed in a mezzanine level between the two main floors. A photographic gallery illustrates the history of Genoa from the 15th to the 19th century, while period furniture documents palace interiors from the 18th through 20th centuries.
Notable holdings
The painting collection includes works by several major European artists. Guercino is represented by The Dying Cleopatra, The Suicide of Cato, and a Madonna and Child with saints. Paolo Veronese's Judith and Holofernes is a significant 16th-century Venetian canvas. The Flemish presence is marked by Antoon van Dyck's Portrait of Paolina Adorno-Brignole-Sale, Equestrian Portrait of Anton Giulio Brignole-Sale, Christ Bearing His Cross, Portrait of Filippo Spinola di Tassarolo, Portrait of the goldsmith Pucci with his son, Christ Driving out the Money-Lenders, and Portrait of Geronima Sale Brignole with her daughter Aurelia. Albrecht Dürer's Portrait of a Young Venetian, dated 1506, is a rare Northern Renaissance work in an Italian collection. Other notable paintings include Palma il Vecchio's Madonna and Child with Saint John the Baptist and Saint Mary Magdalene (c. 1520-1522), Guido Reni's Saint Sebastian, and Bernardo Strozzi's The Cook, Madonna and Child with the Infant John the Baptist, and Boy Blowing on a Taper. Ludovico Carracci's Annunciation, Giovanni Battista Chiappe's Portrait of Doge Rodolfo Maria Brignole Sale, and works by Grechetto (The Journey of Abraham's Family, Nativity, The Sheep Escaping) are also held. Gregorio De Ferrari's frescoes of Spring and Summer, though a related ceiling fresco was destroyed in 1942, remain significant decorative works.
Building & site
Palazzo Rosso occupies a constrained site on the south side of Via Garibaldi, where the terrain slopes toward the coast. Because no large contiguous plot was available, Corradi devised an unprecedented solution for a Genoese palace: two equivalent piano nobile stacked vertically, effectively creating "apartment floors." Horizontally, the palace at street level consists of three separate structures, the Palazzo padronale, the Palazzetto, and the Dipendenze, connected above by bridges that allowed existing public streets to remain open. This U-shaped complex is closed by an arcaded gallery and unified toward the street by a characteristic red facade that gave the palace its popular name. A large entrance hall leads to a fully enclosed courtyard surrounded by open galleries at each level, connected by a lateral staircase. The depth of the central plot permitted this generous spatial sequence without changes in level between hall and court. The interior decoration was extensive. Between 1687 and 1689, Gregorio De Ferrari and his father-in-law Domenico Piola frescoed four successive salons with allegories of the Four Seasons, Spring and Summer by De Ferrari, Autumn and Winter by Piola, with wall decoration in the latter by Nicolò Viviano. Paolo Gerolamo Piola painted a ruined Temple of Diana in the southern loggia. A second decorative campaign in 1690 featured Giovanni Andrea Carlone's allegories of Human Life and the Liberal Arts. Bartolomeo Guidobono contributed frescoes of which only fragments survive. In 1746, architect Francesco Cantone modified the facade, adding lion protomes on the window architraves of both noble floors, referencing the family arms of a rampant lion beneath a plum tree (brignòle in Genoese dialect). Lorenzo De Ferrari later decorated a room in the south wing with allegories of Roman virtues. The palace also features a characteristic hanging garden and, on its roof terrace, a 360-degree view of Genoa.
Visiting
Palazzo Rosso is located at Via Garibaldi 18 in the historic center of Genoa, owned by the municipality and open to the public as part of the Musei di Strada Nuova museum complex. Visitors enter a palace whose residential character has been preserved as a house museum, with original furnishings and decorative schemes intact across its two piano nobile. The site is accessible within the pedestrian zone of Genoa's UNESCO-inscribed Strade Nuove. The official website provides current visiting information.