Church
San Barnaba

Image: Wikimedia Commons.
San Barnaba is a church in Florence, Italy.
About San Barnaba
The church of San Barnaba is a small Renaissance-style church in the center of Florence, at the corner of Via Panicale and Via Guelfa.
San Barnaba by the numbers
- Founded
- 1401
Overview
San Barnaba is a small Renaissance-style church in the centre of Florence, Italy, located at the corner of Via Panicale and Via Guelfa. Founded in the early fourteenth century to commemorate a pivotal Florentine military victory, the church has undergone numerous transformations across seven centuries, serving successively as an Augustinian and Carmelite religious house, a wartime grain store, and, since 1988, the home of the local Filipino Catholic community. Though modest in scale, San Barnaba retains significant architectural and artistic interest, including works by or attributed to Sandro Botticelli, Giovanni della Robbia, and Fabrizio Boschi, as well as important evidence of its Gothic origins beneath later Baroque and Renaissance alterations.
Founding & history
The church originated from a vow made by the Chapter of St. Lawrence to commemorate the Guelph victory over the Ghibellines of Arezzo at the Battle of Campaldino on 11 June 1289, a day that fell on the feast of Saint Barnabas. The poet Dante Alighieri is said to have fought with the Guelph cavalry in this battle. The Republic of Florence assumed the construction costs, intending a church of substantial size. Work began in 1309, was interrupted, then resumed in 1322; sources suggest Giotto may have supervised works between 1335 and 1337. The structure was substantially complete by 1350.
In 1356 the Augustinian order took possession, for whom the adjacent convent was built. The complex passed in 1506 to the reformed Carmelites of the Mantuan congregation, and in 1522 to Carmelite nuns from Santa Maria della Pace, who remained until 1808. The sixteenth century saw the construction of a nuns' choir in the forward portion of the nave and the rebuilding of the apse on a larger scale. Baroque decorative elements, including altars, stucco work, and the gilded wooden ceiling by Giovanni Vernaccini, were added in the eighteenth century.
The Napoleonic suppressions brought numerous paintings from other churches into San Barnaba. The convent was suppressed and converted to apartments. During the Second World War the church was requisitioned as a grain store and suffered serious damage. In 1956 the vault beneath the apse collapsed, destroying the high altar; a simpler replacement was consecrated in 1958. Consolidation and restoration continued through the second half of the twentieth century.
Collection scope
The present furnishings and decorations of San Barnaba are almost entirely the result of transfers from other religious buildings following the Napoleonic suppressions, giving the church the character of an assembled collection rather than an original programme. The interior contains paintings spanning from the late fourteenth to the early seventeenth centuries, together with significant sculptural and decorative elements. The works represent primarily Florentine and Tuscan artistic production, with attributions ranging from established masters to more contested hands. Notable categories include late Renaissance altarpieces, mannerist paintings, and rare surviving fragments of trecento fresco decoration. The church also preserves an important nineteenth-century pipe organ in its original state. Since 1988, the building has served as the centre for the Filipino Catholic community in Florence, adding a contemporary liturgical and social dimension to its historical significance.
Building & site
San Barnaba presents a gabled façade of relatively plain character, distinguished by three heraldic emblems: the Florentine lily (giglio) representing the city, the red cross on white of the Florentine people, and the Guelph eagle defeating a dragon. The pointed-arch portal is surmounted by the della Robbia terracotta. Along the right flank, slender pointed windows of the fourteenth century remain visible, traces of the original Gothic fabric.
The interior follows a single-nave plan, preceded by a lower vestibule space divided into three narrow aisles by Tuscan columns. This area originally housed the nuns' choir; its dividing wall was removed in 1865 and replaced by the present parapet. The nave is covered by Vernaccini's elaborately carved and gilded wooden ceiling of 1717, concealing above it the original fourteenth-century timber trusses with surviving fragments of polychrome painted decoration.
The nave terminates in a square apse with a ribbed cross-vault richly ornamented with stucco by Alessandro and Gaetano Gori. Above the apse rises a bell gable with three openings. A cloister survives from the former convent complex. The 1956 collapse of the vault beneath the apse and the subsequent 1958 replacement of the altar represent visible episodes in the building's conservation history.
Visiting
San Barnaba is located in central Florence at the corner of Via Panicale and Via Guelfa, within the parish of San Lorenzo and the Archdiocese of Florence. Since 1988 it has served as the seat of the Filipino Catholic community in the city. The church is an active place of worship rather than a museum, though its artistic holdings can be viewed during services or by arrangement. The building's modest exterior belies the historical and artistic interest of its interior, which combines rare Gothic structural elements with Baroque decorative additions and an important collection of transferred Renaissance and mannerist works. The former convent buildings have been converted to residential use, but the cloister preserves something of the original monastic layout. No formal visitor infrastructure or admission procedures are documented in the available sources.