Art Museum

Villa Medici

Villa Medici
Villa Medici

Villa Medici is an art museum in Poggio a Caiano, Italy.

About Villa Medici

The Medici Villa of Poggio a Caiano, also called Ambra, is one of the most famous Medici villas and is located in Poggio a Caiano (Prato). Today it is state owned and it houses two museums: one of the historic apartments (ground floor and first floor) and the Museum of Still Life (second floor).

The villa is perhaps the best example of architecture commissioned by Lorenzo il Magnifico, in this case to Giuliano da Sangallo towards 1480.

Villa Medici by the numbers

Founded
1520
Visitors / year
8,823
Collection
1,000 objects
Loading map…

Overview

The Villa Medici, also known as Ambra, is a Renaissance villa located in Poggio a Caiano in the province of Prato, Tuscany, Italy. Commissioned by Lorenzo de' Medici, called Lorenzo il Magnifico, to his favored architect Giuliano da Sangallo around 1480, it stands as one of the most celebrated Medici villas and a foundational monument of Renaissance villa architecture. Today state-owned, it houses two museum complexes: the historic apartments on the ground and first floors, and the Museum of Still Life on the second floor. The villa is widely regarded as the best surviving example of architecture commissioned by Lorenzo il Magnifico, and its design innovations established prototypes for the development of the suburban villa type across subsequent centuries.

Founding & history

The villa's origins trace to Lorenzo de' Medici's acquisition of a rustic farm from Giovanni di Paolo Rucellai between 1470 and 1474, which itself had been a fortress built by the Cancellieri family of Pistoia and later owned by Palla Strozzi. Giuliano da Sangallo was commissioned to design a new building around 1485, with construction beginning shortly thereafter. Work was interrupted between 1495 and 1513 due to the Medici exile from Florence; at Lorenzo's death in 1492, only the basement level with its completed porch and the wall structures of the first floor were finished. Following the Medici return, Giovanni, now Pope Leo X, oversaw completion between 1513 and 1520. Sangallo, elderly by then, supervised only occasionally until his death in 1516, though work continued according to his plan, likely documented by a wooden model. The villa became a stage for Medici dynastic life: it hosted the weddings of Alessandro de' Medici and Margaret of Austria in 1536, Cosimo I and Eleanor of Toledo in 1539, and Francesco I and Bianca Cappello in 1579. Francesco and Bianca died there in 1587 in circumstances suspected to be poisoning. In 1661, Marguerite Louise d'Orléans, wife of Cosimo III, was effectively confined there from 1672 or 1673 until her return to France in 1675, during which time a ground-floor theater was built for her. The villa passed to the Habsburg-Lorraine dukes after the last Medici died in 1737, then to Elisa Bonaparte in the Napoleonic era, who made it a center of cultural and social life. The House of Savoy used it after the Restoration; Victor Emmanuel II had it restored when Florence became capital of Italy in 1861. It became state property in 1919.

Collection scope

The villa's collections and decorative programs span from the original Renaissance commissions through successive phases of Medici, Habsburg-Lorraine, Napoleonic, and Savoyard patronage. The holdings are distributed across the historic apartments, which occupy the ground and first floors, and the Museum of Still Life on the second floor, established in 2007. The core of the collection lies in its sixteenth-century fresco cycle, though the interior has undergone numerous transformations that have altered Sangallo's original conception. The ground floor contains spaces of mixed date and function: an entrance hall now dedicated to Victor Emmanuel II and the unification of Italy, an eighteenth-century theater, the Bianca Cappello apartments, and a nineteenth-century billiard room from the Savoy period.

Notable holdings

The Salone di Leone X on the first floor represents the villa's artistic centerpiece. Its barrel vault, completed around 1513 under the direction of Andrea di Cosimo Feltrini and Franciabigio, bears the papal coat of arms. The fresco cycle, begun under Leo X by Pontormo, Andrea del Sarto, and Franciabigio, was completed approximately fifty years later by Alessandro Allori in a more monumental style emphasizing figures over architectural settings. Pontormo's lunette depicting Vertumnus and Pomona from Ovid's Metamorphoses, an allegory of Medici renewal, counts among his masterworks. The second lunette features Allori's Garden of the Hesperides. The wall paintings treat Roman historical subjects, Caesar, Cicero, and Scipio Africanus, with allegorical references to Medici deeds. Under the first-floor loggia, a fresco by Filippino Lippi depicts the Sacrifice of Laocoon. The terracotta frieze on the loggia architrave, 14.22 meters long and 58 centimeters high, features mythological allegories associated with Lorenzo de' Medici; long attributed to Andrea Sansovino, it is now given to Bertoldo di Giovanni and his workshop. The dining room ceiling holds Anton Domenico Gabbiani's 1698 fresco of Cosimo the Elder's pacification. The Bianca Cappello apartments preserve Renaissance spirit more than other spaces, with a chimney room retaining its atlante-decorated fireplace and an antechamber containing three biblical paintings attributed to Paolo Veronese and a Pietà by Giorgio Vasari.

Building & site

The Villa Medici at Poggio a Caiano occupies a strategic hilltop position, the last offshoot of the Montalbano mountains, commanding the Ombrone river valley and the road between Florence and Pistoia. It is the first example of a princely Renaissance villa to realize principles of ancient villa architecture as described by Vitruvius and Pliny, combined with contemporary architectural theory formulated by Alberti. The two-story structure sits on an extensive terrace supported by arcades at the basement level. Sangallo's original design featured a straight external staircase to the terrace; this was replaced in 1807 by a curved double-ramp staircase designed by Pasquale Poccianti, leading to the portico crowned by a temple pediment, a motif that became widely influential in secular architecture. The faade's ionic temple front and barrel vault marked conscious recoveries of classical elements. The symmetrical plan distributes rooms around a central salon, a centrifugal space, with loggias creating permeability between interior and exterior, a decisive break from the earlier villa-fortress type. A seventeenth-century clock tower was added to the composition. Within the estate, Sangallo also designed the Cascine, a square, bastioned agricultural complex on the opposite bank of the Ombrone, conceived as the territorial counterweight to the villa itself. The garden was laid out by Niccolò Tribolo in the mid-sixteenth century, completed with the stables in 1548, though after 1811 Giuseppe Manetti redesigned most of it as an English landscape garden with a lake and a temple of Diana, effacing the original conception; only on the right side of the villa does a geometrically ordered garden section with vases and statues preserve something of the earlier design.

Visiting

The Villa Medici is located in Poggio a Caiano, province of Prato, in the Tuscany region of Italy. It is state-owned and open to the public, with two museum circuits: the historic apartments on the ground and first floors, and the Museum of Still Life on the second floor. The villa can be reached from both Florence and Pistoia, lying on the road between them. The cascina and stables, once forming a unified architectural ensemble with the villa, were gradually sold to private owners after 1919.

Museums near Villa Medici

Artworks shown from Villa Medici are in the public domain; images via the open-access programs of their source collections. Spotted an error in this record? Tell us.