Gallery

County Buildings and Judges House

County Buildings and Judges House
County Buildings and Judges House

County Buildings and Judges House is a gallery in Stafford, United Kingdom.

About County Buildings and Judges House

County Buildings is a municipal facility at Martin Street in Stafford, Staffordshire. The building, which is the meeting place for both Staffordshire County Council and Stafford Borough Council, is a Grade II* listed building.

Loading map…

Overview

County Buildings and Judges House is a Grade II* listed municipal complex on Martin Street in Stafford, Staffordshire, United Kingdom. It serves as the meeting place for both Staffordshire County Council and Stafford Borough Council, combining late 18th-century judicial accommodation with late 19th-century civic offices in a single historic ensemble. The complex holds particular significance as a continuous center of local government, representing the evolution of county administration from the assize court era through the establishment of elected county councils to the present day.

Founding & history

The site's history begins with the Judges House, constructed 1799-1802 by Joseph Potter Snr to provide lodgings for visiting judges attending the assize courts. This was extended by 1879. Throughout the 19th century, the adjacent Shire Hall in Market Square functioned as the established venue for judicial meetings and civic functions in Staffordshire. The Local Government Act 1888, which created county councils across England, necessitated purpose-built offices for the newly formed Staffordshire County Council. The council initially met at the Shire Hall but soon procured a site on Martin Street immediately adjoining it, previously occupied by retail properties. Henry Hare designed the new County Buildings in the Baroque revival style, completed in 1895; the left wing was extended in 1899. Additional offices in a matching style followed on the south side of Martin Street in 1913 and 1925. In April 2009, the county council announced plans for a new headquarters, Staffordshire Place on Tipping Street, designed by 3DReid and built by Volker Fitzpatrick at a cost of £38 million. Completed in October 2011 and officially opened by the Countess of Wessex in May 2013, this new facility drew most council officers and departments away from Martin Street. The later buildings at 15 and 16 Martin Street were sold and converted to private residences known as Martin Street Mansions. However, the county council retained the 1895 building on the north side for its main civic rooms, continuing to hold full council meetings in the historic council chamber. Stafford Borough Council also began using the building for full council meetings after selling its Guildhall in Market Square for commercial development in 1990.

Collection scope

The complex maintains a collection of civic art and furnishings accumulated through its long history as a center of county administration. The interior decoration of the principal rooms, particularly the council chamber, represents a significant artistic investment from the building's original construction period. The plasterwork by Frederick Schenck and sculpted figures by William Aumonier constitute the core of the building's decorative arts holdings. The collection also includes portraiture of local dignitaries associated with Staffordshire governance, such as the 1921 oil portrait of Frank James (1821-1924), DL, JP by Frank Moss Bennett, measuring 122 by 91.5 cm. These works document the individuals who shaped local administration across generations.

Notable holdings

The most significant individual artwork associated with the County Buildings is Frank Moss Bennett's 1921 portrait of Frank James, a Deputy Lieutenant and Justice of the Peace, rendered in oil on canvas at 122 by 91.5 cm. The building's architectural interiors themselves constitute notable holdings: the council chamber's plasterwork by F.E.E. Schenck, the entrance hall with its five-panel doors with segmental hoods, and the fireplace with Ionic columns and painted overmantel displaying the county arms. Original light fittings survive throughout the main spaces. The Judges House portion retains its rusticated ground floor, round-headed loggia with triple keys and cartouche spandrels, and cast-iron railings with decorative finials from its 1799-1802 construction, with 1890s alterations to the right portion of the ground floor.

Building & site

The complex comprises two distinct but connected structures. The Judges House, built 1799-1802 by Joseph Potter Snr and extended by 1879, is of three storeys with a six-window range and higher three-window range to the right, constructed in ashlar with parapeted roof, rusticated ground floor, and top cornice with blocking course. The 1893-95 County Buildings by H.T. Hare are of brick with ashlar dressings and graduated slate roof, presenting an asymmetrical Baroque revival facade with Arts and Crafts influences to Martin Street: two storeys with attic, an eight-window center with projecting wings under hipped roofs, and a lower gabled pavilion to the right end with carriage archway. The entrance features an architrave and segmental pediment with small lights and relief carving. Ground floor windows are square with stepped voussoirs; the first floor center has double-transomed mullioned windows with leaded glazing; the right wing contains a Venetian window with flanking round windows; dormer windows have lead finials; and the wings are crowned with copper-clad cupolas. The building was first listed on 17 December 1971 under list entry number 1298178, with the statutory address County Buildings and Judges House, Martin Street. The national grid reference is SJ 92267 23264.

Visiting

County Buildings and Judges House is located on Martin Street in the center of Stafford, Staffordshire. The building is owned by Staffordshire County Council, which retained the 1895 structure after the 2011 relocation of most administrative functions to Staffordshire Place. Full meetings of Staffordshire County Council continue to be held in the council chamber, and the civic rooms are available for weddings and civil partnerships. Stafford Borough Council also holds its full council meetings at the venue. The building is not primarily a public museum or gallery; its principal role remains as a functioning civic center with heritage interiors. The later buildings at 15 and 16 Martin Street on the south side have been converted to private residential use as Martin Street Mansions and are no longer part of the civic complex.

Museums near County Buildings and Judges House

Artworks shown from County Buildings and Judges House are in the public domain; images via the open-access programs of their source collections. Spotted an error in this record? Tell us.