Francesco Buffa, an itinerant printseller from South Tyrol, traveled across Europe selling printed matter at fairs before settling permanently in Amsterdam in 1808. Initially, his shop on the Kalverstraat focused on selling prints, particularly reproductive engravings of existing artworks, which he produced in collaboration with various engravers. The business expanded significantly under successive directors, including Alberto Caramelli, the Tessaro family, Jacobus Slagmulder, and Joop Siedenburg. In 1874, under Caramelli's direction, the firm definitively shifted its primary focus from the print trade to dealing in paintings, watercolors, and drawings. The gallery maintained this emphasis on original art until it ceased operations in 1951. During its operation, the firm maintained a close working relationship with the Amsterdam art dealer C.M. van Gogh, and the two businesses regularly purchased works from one another.