Church

Monastery of Santa María del Parral

Monastery of Santa María del Parral
Monastery of Santa María del Parral

Monastery of Santa María del Parral is a church in Segovia, Spain.

About Monastery of Santa María del Parral

Monastery of Saint Mary of Parral (Spanish: Monasterio de Santa María del Parral) is a Roman Catholic monastery of the enclosed monks of the Order of Saint Jerome just outside the walls of Segovia, Spain.

Monastery of Santa María del Parral by the numbers

Founded
1447

Plan your visit

Monastery of Santa María del Parral

Loading map…

Overview

The Monastery of Santa María del Parral is a Roman Catholic monastery of the enclosed Order of Saint Jerome, located just outside the medieval walls of Segovia, Spain, in the San Lorenzo quarter along the right bank of the Eresma River. Established in 1447, the complex is a significant example of late medieval monastic architecture, blending Gothic, Mudéjar, and Plateresque styles. It forms a cornerstone of fifteenth-century architecture in Segovia, alongside the Dominican convent of Santa Cruz and the Franciscan convent of San Francisco. After periods of abandonment and looting, the site was declared a National Monument in 1914 and subsequently restored, allowing the Hieronymite community to return. It continues to function as an active enclosed monastery and serves as the mother house of the Hieronymite Order.

Founding & history

Henry IV of Castile promoted the foundation in 1447 while still a prince, acting through his chamberlain, Juan Pacheco, Marquis of Villena, since royal protocol discouraged a non-monarch from commissioning such buildings. Henry purchased the land, which included a thirteenth-century hermitage dedicated to the Virgin of El Parral, from the Segovia cathedral chapter for ten thousand maravedíes on December 7, 1447. A papal bull from Pope Nicholas V granted the new house the same privileges as the Monastery of Guadalupe. Construction of the conventual buildings began in 1454 when Henry ascended to the throne, proceeding under the initial designs of the architect Juan Gallego. Work paused during the War of the Castilian Succession from 1474 to 1479, resuming under Catholic Monarch rule, with the nave finally closed in 1503. A fire in 1654 destroyed substantial parts of the complex, necessitating a reconstruction led by Friar Pedro de Huete. French troops looted the monastery in 1808 and dispersed its archive in 1809. The Ecclesiastical Confiscations of Mendizábal in the 1830s led to the dissolution and abandonment of the community, though the complex narrowly escaped a proposed demolition. A papal decree in 1925 authorized the Hieronymite Order to re-establish a community, with monks arriving shortly after and the Rule formally granted in 1969. Restoration campaigns occurred in the 1910s, 1920s, and 1940s, alongside later alterations such as the demolition of part of the Hospedería cloister in 1972.

Collection scope

The monastery's holdings historically included significant carved and painted altarpieces, Mudéjar timber ceilings, and polychrome decorations in areas such as the refectory, library, and prior's cell. However, the 1830s secularization caused the dispersal of many artworks, documents, and treasures. Some removed pieces were stored in the Atocha monastery in Madrid before being transferred to the Royal Gallery of El Prado in the 1870s, where they remained largely unresearched for decades. Other movable objects entered national museums and libraries. Investigations into the dispersed paintings associated with the monastery occurred between 2000 and 2003. The remaining interior art focuses on Renaissance woodcarving, alabaster sepulchers, and architectural sculpture.

Notable holdings

The main altarpiece in the church is a prominent sixteenth-century Renaissance work. Carved in wood, it was contracted on March 23, 1528, by the sculptors Juan Rodríguez and Jerónimo Pellicer, pupils of Vasco de la Zarza, and the painter Francisco González, all from Ávila, for 400,000 maravedís. Diego de Urbina contracted the gilding and polychroming on October 19, 1553, which included a grisaille curtain depicting the Passion for Holy Week. The altarpiece venerates the Romanesque sculpture of the Virgin of El Parral, originating from the earlier hermitage. Flanking the altarpiece are the profusely decorated alabaster sepulchers of the Marquises of Villena, Juan Pacheco and María de Portocarrero, carved with monumental Renaissance ornamentation. Other notable works include the Apostles framing the tall apse windows by sculptor Sebastián de Almonacid, the tomb of Beatriz Pacheco, and a Gothic doorway to the antesacristy. Among the dispersed works, the painting known as the Fountain of Life or Fountain of Grace, recorded as a gift from Henry IV in 1454, has attracted considerable scholarly interest. It uses the same symbolic language as the Mystic Lamb polyptych in Ghent. While once thought to be a rushed copy of a lost original by Jan van Eyck from the 1430s, current scholarship attributes it to his workshop, intended for a Spanish client.

Building & site

The monastic complex is arranged against a hillside on the right bank of the Eresma River, with the church positioned near the rocks to shield it from northern winds. The architecture follows the Hieronymite model, organized around four main cloisters: the Portería, the Hospedería, the Enfermería or Botica, and the principal Processions cloister. The principal cloister features a lower arcade of seven round arches on alternating red and white brick piers with a central fountain, and an upper gallery of fourteen pointed arches with notable Mudéjar timber ceilings and painted panels. The Enfermería cloister has two storeys with trefoil arches, an octagonal Gothic fountain, and a cornice with spherical motifs linked to the architect Juan Guas. The Hospedería cloister survives only fragmentarily after a 1566 fire and later reductions. The church features a single nave with side chapels between buttresses, a polygonal chancel, a rood screen, and an unfinished façade displaying the Pacheco coat of arms. A Plateresque bell tower designed by the Segovian architect Juan Campero in 1529 stands to the right of the façade, crowned with crockets. A mint was also built near the monastery in the sixteenth century, utilizing the Eresma River to power its machinery.

Visiting

The Monastery of Santa María del Parral is located on Calle Parral 2, 40003 Segovia, in the Castilla y León region of Spain. It retains its original function as an enclosed monastery of the Hieronymite Order and serves as the mother house of the order. The site was declared a National Monument in 1914 and is designated a Site of Cultural Interest. It is open to the public on a limited basis, with specific tour times and access conditions established by the monastic community.

Museums near Monastery of Santa María del Parral

Artworks shown from Monastery of Santa María del Parral are in the public domain; images via the open-access programs of their source collections. Spotted an error in this record? Tell us.