Art Museum
Musée des Beaux-Arts de Caen

Image: Wikimedia Commons.
Musée des Beaux-Arts de Caen is an art museum in Caen, France.
About Musée des Beaux-Arts de Caen
The Musée des Beaux-Arts de Caen is a fine arts museum in the French city of Caen, founded at the start of the 19th century and rebuilt in 1971 within the ducal château.
Musée des Beaux-Arts de Caen by the numbers
- Founded
- 1801
- Visitors / year
- 73,239
Plan your visit
Musée des Beaux-Arts de Caen
- Website
- mba.caen.fr
Overview
The Musée des Beaux-Arts de Caen is the principal fine arts museum of Caen, a city in Normandy, France. Founded in 1801 and opened to the public in 1809, it ranks among the oldest provincial art museums in France, established during the Napoleonic era to house works confiscated during the Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars. The museum was entirely destroyed by Allied bombing in July 1944 during the liberation of Normandy and was subsequently rebuilt within the ducal château of Caen, reopening in 1971. Today it remains a significant cultural institution in northwestern France, with collections spanning from the Italian Renaissance to the 19th century.
Founding & history
The museum's origins trace to a decree of September 1, 1801, by Interior Minister Jean-Antoine Chaptal, who selected fifteen French cities to receive deposits of paintings confiscated from émigrés or acquired through military campaigns. Caen was chosen for its academic reputation and status as cultural capital of Normandy. The city initially showed reluctance, as the decree required municipalities to fund suitable galleries. After considering the former Jesuit church of Sainte-Catherine-des-Arts, where revolutionary confiscations had been stored since 1795, the municipality decided on October 27, 1801, to house the museum in the left wing of the former Eudist seminary, already partially occupied by the mayoralty since 1792. François-Pierre Fleuriau, a drawing instructor at the Central School of Calvados, was appointed commissioner in October 1802. He selected forty-six major paintings in 1804, including works by Veronese and Poussin, making Caen's allocation second only to Lyon's. Construction proceeded slowly due to funding disputes; the prefect Charles Ambroise de Caffarelli du Falga blocked municipal appropriations in 1806, and only the 1809 budget allowed completion. The museum officially opened on December 2, 1809.
Under curator Henri Élouis from 1811, collections expanded with thirty-five additional state-assigned paintings. The 1815 Prussian occupation posed a threat to confiscated German works; Élouis reportedly hid Rubens's Abraham and Melchizedek beneath the officers' dining table. The museum weathered Belgian restitution claims as well. The second half of the nineteenth century brought calmer growth: Bernard Mancel compiled the first catalog in 1837, and monographs appeared in the 1850s. The 1872 bequest of bookseller Bernard Mancel, who had acquired much of Cardinal Fesch's Roman collection in 1845, added over 50,000 works including prints by Dürer, Rembrandt, and Callot, and paintings by Perugino, Veronese, and Rogier van der Weyden. The Langlois family bequeathed 256 military paintings in 1873.
Prestige declined after 1880 under curators Xenophon Hellouin and Gustave Ménégoz, who pursued uninspired acquisitions of regional interest. On November 3, 1905, fire damaged the building and destroyed several Dutch and Flemish works plus François Debon's The Battle of Hastings. Renovation was completed only in 1936.
World War II brought catastrophe. In 1939, 360 paintings, the Mancel collection, the Bernard van Risen Burgh chest, and other objects were evacuated to Saint-Gabriel-Brécy monastery and Baillou château. The collections survived the Nazi occupation largely intact, but the building was heavily damaged by Allied air raids on June 7, 1944, and completely destroyed in a subsequent attack the following month. While the most important works were saved, 540 nineteenth-century paintings, 400 drawings, archives, inventories, and frames were lost forever. Reconstruction planning began in 1963, and the new museum, designed by Jean Merlet, was inaugurated within the Château de Caen on December 14, 1971, following a June 1970 reopening.
Collection scope
The museum's collections were shaped initially by Napoleonic confiscations and early curatorial selections, then substantially enriched by nineteenth-century bequests. The original 1804 allocation emphasized major Italian and French masters, establishing a foundation in Renaissance and Baroque painting. The Mancel bequest of 1872 transformed the museum's graphic arts holdings, adding extensive print collections alongside significant early Netherlandish and Italian paintings. The Langlois bequest specialized in military and battle subjects. Despite these strengths, modern and Impressionist works remained virtually unrepresented due to conservative acquisition policies. The 1905 fire and 1944 destruction severely diminished holdings, particularly affecting Dutch, Flemish, and nineteenth-century French schools. The rebuilt museum's collections thus reflect both surviving historical works and subsequent reassembly efforts.
Notable holdings
Among the museum's most significant surviving works are several Italian Renaissance masterpieces. Pietro Perugino's Marriage of the Virgin, dating from 1501 to 1504, represents a major Umbrian painting. Cima da Conegliano's Triptych of the Madonna and Child between Saints George and James constitutes an important Venetian panel. Paolo Veronese's Temptation of Saint Anthony, part of the early state allocation, exemplifies the museum's initial high-quality acquisitions. From the Flemish Baroque, Peter Paul Rubens's Meeting of Abraham and Melchizedek holds particular historical resonance given its legendary concealment from Prussian requisition in 1815. These works survived the 1944 destruction due to wartime evacuation, unlike numerous other holdings.
Building & site
The museum occupied the left wing of the former Eudist seminary on place de la République from its 1809 opening until 1944. This site, partially serving as the mayoralty since 1792, was adapted with difficulty; construction delays, funding crises, and eventual fire in 1905 marked its history. The seminary building was completely destroyed by Allied bombing in July 1944. The reconstructed museum was integrated into the Château de Caen, the historic ducal fortress in Caen's old city center. This new location, designed by Jean Merlet and opened in 1971, provided dedicated museum facilities within a significant medieval monument. The courtyard of the former museum site had featured sculptures including Auguste Lechesne's Les dénicheurs (installed 1862, moved 1882), his cement groups Combat et frayeur and Victoire et reconnaissance (replaced 1880 by Arthur Le Duc's Centaure et Bacchante), and a 1933 monument to composer Gabriel Dupont.
Visiting
The Musée des Beaux-Arts de Caen is located within the Château de Caen in the historic center of Caen, Normandy, France. The museum is owned by the municipality and serves as the city's principal public art institution. Access to the collections is free of charge on the first weekend of each month. From February 1, 2005, general admission to the collections was made free, though this policy may have evolved. The museum maintains an online presence at https://mba.caen.fr/ and its collections are documented in the French national Joconde database.
Museums near Musée des Beaux-Arts de Caen
- Art Museum Palace of Versailles Versailles, France
- Museum of the History of France Versailles, France
- National Museum Musée national de Malmaison et Bois-Préau Rueil-Malmaison, France
- Art Museum Château de Malmaison Rueil-Malmaison, France
- Art Museum Musée Marmottan Monet 16th arrondissement of Paris, France
- Art Museum Musée d'art moderne de Paris 16th arrondissement of Paris, France