Art Museum

Pio Monte della Misericordia

Pio Monte della Misericordia
Pio Monte della Misericordia

Pio Monte della Misericordia is an art museum in Naples, Italy.

About Pio Monte della Misericordia

The Pio Monte della Misericordia is a church in the historic centre of Naples, southern Italy. It is famous for its art works, including Caravaggio's The Seven Works of Mercy. A charity brotherhood (called Pio Monte della Misericordia, meaning 'Pious Mount of Mercy') was founded in August 1601 by seven young nobles, who met every Friday at the Hospital for Incurables and ministered to the sick.

In 1602, they established an institution and commissioned a small church, built by Giovanni Giacomo Di Conforto, near the staircase leading to the Cathedral, on the corner of the Via dei Tribunali and the Vico, and Vicoletto, of Zuroli. In 1605, they received an apostolic letter from Pope Paul V, according special privileges to the high altar.

The church was consecrated in September 1606.

Pio Monte della Misericordia by the numbers

Founded
1602
Visitors / year
86,041
Collection
800 objects

Plan your visit

Pio Monte della Misericordia

Get Tickets
Book on Tiqets

We may earn a commission from ticket bookings, at no extra cost to you.

Loading map…

Overview

The Pio Monte della Misericordia is a historic church and museum in the historic centre of Naples, southern Italy. Founded in 1602 as a lay charitable institution, it stands on the Piazza Riario Sforza along the decumanus maximus, the ancient east-west thoroughfare of the city. The complex is renowned for its extraordinary art collection, most notably Caravaggio's The Seven Works of Mercy, and has been described as housing one of the most important private collections in Italy open to the public. The entire building was converted into a museum in 2005, preserving its dual identity as both a functioning religious site and a cultural institution.

Founding & history

The Pio Monte della Misericordia originated from the initiative of seven young Neapolitan nobles, Cesare Sersale, Giovan Andrea Gambacorta, Girolamo Lagni, Astorgio Agnese, Giovan Battista d'Alessandro, Giovan Vincenzo Piscicelli and Giovanni Battista Manso, who began meeting every Friday from 1601 at the Hospital for Incurables to minister to the sick and provide food for patients at their own expense. In August 1601, they formally established the charity brotherhood, and in 1602 they founded the institutional body to administer and distribute resources, commissioning a small church from Giovanni Giacomo Di Conforto. The church was built near the staircase leading to the Cathedral, at the corner of Via dei Tribunali and the Vico and Vicoletto of Zuroli, and was consecrated in September 1606. In 1605, Pope Paul V granted an apostolic letter according special privileges to the high altar. The statutes, known as the Capitolazioni, were drawn up in 1603 and approved by the viceroy Giovanni Alfonso Pimentel de Herrera in 1604 and by papal authority in 1605. These 33 articles established a system of governance by seven governors elected every three and a half years from the nobility, aged over 25, who rotated through seven charitable offices every six months. The institution's capital soon reached 6,328 ducats. From 1658 to 1678, the complex was substantially enlarged through the annexation of neighbouring structures by architect Francesco Antonio Picchiati, creating the palace and renewed church that stand today. A decisive modern measure came in 1914 when the institution issued an absolute prohibition on the disposal of its artworks. In 1973, under the superintendent Tommaso Leonetti, Count of Santo Janni, the picture gallery was formally established, and the museum opened to the public in 2005.

Collection scope

The collection of the Pio Monte della Misericordia, known as the Quadreria del Pio Monte della Misericordia, is centred on seventeenth-century Neapolitan painting and represents one of Italy's most significant private collections accessible to the public. The holdings were assembled to give permanent visual expression to the charitable mission of the brotherhood, with works commissioned specifically for the church's altars. The collection spans the early Baroque period and includes major figures of the Neapolitan school. The core of the collection remains the paintings executed for the church's original decorative programme, supplemented by later acquisitions. The first floor of the palace houses the historic archive and the painting gallery, where institutional rooms display fundamental archival documents alongside the artworks.

Notable holdings

The undisputed masterpiece of the collection is Caravaggio's The Seven Works of Mercy, painted in 1607 for the presbyterium for a fee of 400 ducats. The governors were so pleased with the work that in 1613 they decreed it must remain permanently in its intended chapel, forbidding its removal or sale; a later addendum also prohibited copying or reproduction. The painting's dramatic chiaroscuro has been interpreted by the German art historian Ralf van Bühren as employing bright light as a metaphor for mercy itself. For the seven lateral altars, specific works representing individual acts of mercy were commissioned: Giovan Vincenzo da Forli painted The Good Samaritan in 1607-1608; Giovanni Baglione executed The Deposition of Christ in 1608; Fabrizio Santafede painted Saint Peter Resurrecting Tabitha in 1611 and Christ in the House of Martha and Mary in 1612; Battistello Caracciolo received 100 ducats for The Liberation of Saint Peter in 1615; and Giovanni Bernardo Azzolino completed Saint Paulinus Freeing the Slave in 1626-1630. The church also houses Luca Giordano's Burial of Christ, for which the artist was paid 200 ducats in 1671, as well as works by Carlo Sellitto.

Building & site

The original church, built between 1607 and 1621 by Giovanni Giacomo Di Conforto for 25 ducats, was a modest rectangular structure significantly smaller than the present complex. By 1653 it had become inadequate for the institution's growing needs, and it was demolished to make way for a complete rebuilding. Between 1658 and 1678, Francesco Antonio Picchiatti directed the new construction after Cosimo Fanzago declined the commission due to other commitments. The enlarged complex incorporated several neighbouring properties and assumed its present monumental form. The church dome was completed in 1666. Andrea Falcone executed the sculptural decoration of the façade, the stairway, and the holy water fonts, and from 1668 to 1671 he worked with Pietro Pelliccia on the balustrades and marble décor of the altars. Bonaventura Presti, a pupil of Picchiatti, finished the third-floor rooms between 1678 and 1680. Restoration works were carried out by Giovanni Battista Manni from the early eighteenth century to about 1720, with further interventions in 1763.

Visiting

The Pio Monte della Misericordia is located in the historic centre of Naples on Piazza Riario Sforza, along the decumanus maximus. The complex is owned and administered by the original charitable institution, which continues its philanthropic mission while operating the museum. Since 2005, the entire building has been open to the public as a museum, with a visitor route through the church and the first-floor rooms containing the archive and painting collection. The official website is http://www.piomontedellamisericordia.it. A virtual tour is also available through Google Arts & Culture.

Museums near Pio Monte della Misericordia

Artworks shown from Pio Monte della Misericordia are in the public domain; images via the open-access programs of their source collections. Spotted an error in this record? Tell us.