The Museum of the City of New York's purpose-built Fifth Avenue building was dedicated on January 11, 1932. Founded in 1923 by Henry Collins Brown, the museum had outgrown Gracie Mansion after early exhibitions such as Old New York demonstrated public demand for a permanent civic museum. The new Joseph H. Freedlander neo-Georgian building, with facade sculpture by Adolph Alexander Weinman, gave the institution a durable home on what later became Museum Mile. Although devoted broadly to New York's urban history, MCNY also developed major art holdings, including paintings, drawings, prints, photographs, theatrical material, decorative arts, and architectural interiors. Its 1932 dedication therefore marks an important museum-infrastructure moment for collecting and interpreting the visual culture of New York City.
The dedication anchored MCNY as a permanent collecting institution for New York's art, design, photography, and urban history.