Art Museum

Electoral Gallery Dusseldorf

Electoral Gallery Dusseldorf
Electoral Gallery Dusseldorf

Electoral Gallery Dusseldorf is an art museum in Düsseldorf, Germany. 2 works from its collection are in this catalog, including Peter Paul Rubens and Adriaen van der Werff.

About Electoral Gallery Dusseldorf

former art gallery of Johann Wilhelm, Elector Palatine, mostly now in Pinakothek Munich

Electoral Gallery Dusseldorf by the numbers

Collection
1,000 objects

Works from Electoral Gallery Dusseldorf

Plan your visit

Electoral Gallery Dusseldorf

Artworks shown from Electoral Gallery Dusseldorf are in the public domain; images via the open-access programs of their source collections. Spotted an error in this record? Tell us.

Overview

The Electoral Gallery Düsseldorf (German: Gemäldegalerie Düsseldorf, also known as the Galerie Électorale) was one of the most celebrated princely art collections in Europe during the eighteenth century, assembled by Johann Wilhelm, Elector Palatine, and housed in a purpose-built gallery on the south side of Düsseldorf Castle. Founded around 1705-1709, the collection focused on Italian, Flemish, and Dutch Renaissance and Baroque painting, earning international renown as a "German Louvre" and attracting distinguished visitors from across Europe. Though the original collection was dispersed after 1805, with most works now in the Alte Pinakothek in Munich, the gallery remains a landmark in the history of museums for its pioneering display methods and its role in the transition from princely Kunstkammer to public art institution.

Founding & history

The origins of the collection lay in the holdings of Johann Wilhelm's grandfather, Wolfgang Wilhelm, which Johann Wilhelm expanded significantly through his second marriage to Anna Maria Luisa de' Medici. The Dutch portrait painter Jan Frans van Douven served as the Elector's art agent from 1684 and became superintendent of the collection around 1700, playing a key role in shaping its character. The three-winged gallery building was erected from 1709 onwards on the south side of Düsseldorf Castle, making it one of the earliest independent museum buildings in Europe. The collection was first catalogued by Gerhard Joseph Karsch in 1719, followed by François-Louis Colins in 1756, Nicolas de Pigage in 1778, and Valentine Green in 1793. A significant early loss occurred in 1717 when Anna Maria Luisa withdrew her share of the collection and returned to Florence after Johann Wilhelm's death. The gallery faced repeated threats from warfare: in 1795, during the First Coalition War, the collection was evacuated to Mannheim and then to Munich to escape the advancing French Revolutionary army. After the Peace of Lunéville, the collection was returned to Düsseldorf, but the territorial upheavals of 1805-1806 proved fatal. Following a complex exchange of territories among Prussia, Kurpfalz-Bayern, and France, Elector Maximilian IV Joseph ordered the transportable collection removed to Schloss Kirchheimbolanden, and subsequently to Munich, where it was incorporated into the Bavarian royal collections. Düsseldorf citizens contested this removal, arguing the collection constituted public property of the Duchy of Berg, and in 1846 founded the Verein zur Errichtung einer Gemäldegalerie zu Düsseldorf to build a new collection.

Collection scope

The Gemäldegalerie Düsseldorf was distinguished by its concentration on Italian, Flemish, and Dutch painting of the Renaissance and Baroque periods, supplemented by Dutch-German and Italian-Venetian works. At its height under Johann Wilhelm II, the collection comprised nearly 400 paintings, including 46 works by Peter Paul Rubens. The overall holdings eventually exceeded 1000 exhibits when sculptures and other objects are included. The collection's reputation rested on its quality and coherence rather than sheer size: contemporaries described it as "an exquisite collection for the scope and quality of the time" and "an art treasure of European rank." The Elector also assembled what became the oldest princely collection of plaster casts of ancient sculpture on German soil, which later formed the basis of the Mannheimer Antikensaal. The systematic approach to acquisition, guided by artistic rather than merely decorative criteria, set the Düsseldorf collection apart from many contemporary princely accumulations and anticipated later museum practices.

Notable holdings

The signature strength of the collection lay in its Flemish Baroque paintings, above all the 46 works by Peter Paul Rubens that formed a cornerstone of Johann Wilhelm's acquisitions. While individual masterpieces cannot be fully reconstructed from the sources, the 1778 catalogue by Nicolas de Pigage and Christian von Mechel documents the scope and arrangement of the collection in detail. The preparatory materials for this catalogue, including watercolors, red chalk drawings, and architectural elevations, survive at the Getty Research Institute and provide valuable evidence of the gallery's contents and display. After the 1805 dispersal, many paintings became foundational holdings of the Munich Pinakothek. Approximately 50 paintings from the original collection remain or have returned to Düsseldorf, where they are now housed in the Museum Kunstpalast. The rest of the once-celebrated collection is now scattered across institutions worldwide.

Building & site

The gallery building stood on the south side of Düsseldorf Castle at what is now the Burgplatz in the Düsseldorf Altstadt. This two-storey, three-winged structure was constructed from 1709 onwards and originally connected directly to the Elector's residential apartments in the castle. Its design explicitly referenced the Galleria degli Uffizi in Florence, signaling the Elector's ambition to create a museum of international standing. As one of the earliest purpose-built museum structures in Europe, the building represented a significant architectural innovation in separating the display of art from residential and ceremonial functions. Parts of the east wing's fabric have been preserved and incorporated into a wing of the present Düsseldorf City Hall (Rathaus). The original building no longer survives in its entirety, having been lost to later urban development.

Visiting

The Electoral Gallery Düsseldorf as an institution ceased to exist with the removal of its collections in 1805. The original building at Burgplatz has largely disappeared, though fragments survive in the Düsseldorf Rathaus. For visitors interested in the legacy of the collection, the Museum Kunstpalast in Düsseldorf houses approximately 50 paintings from the original Electoral Gallery, offering the most substantial remaining concentration of its holdings in the city. The great majority of the dispersed collection is now in the Alte Pinakothek in Munich. Scholarly access to the gallery's history is facilitated by the extensive archival materials at the Getty Research Institute, including the preparatory drawings and proofs for the 1778 catalogue. The gallery's historical significance continues to be explored through exhibitions and research, notably the 2011 Getty exhibition "Display and Art History: The Düsseldorf Gallery and Its Catalogue," which examined the revolutionary character of its Enlightenment-era display and documentation.